2023 SYNOD ASSEMBLY FAQ
What is the schedule of events?
An Agenda for the 2023 Synod Assembly is available here on our website.
How will the Bishop’s Election work?
Please refer to the ballot process resource available on our website.
Where is the Northern Center located?
The Northern Center is located at 540 W. Kaye Ave. on the campus of Northern Michigan University in Marquette, MI.
I’m a voting member. What do I need to know?
In order to vote at Synod Assembly, all voting members must be present in the ballroom at NMU. We will not have remote voting this year.
- Voting members are required to bring their own device (a smartphone, tablet or laptop) with wifi capability and a web browser and charger for elections.
- The Election Runner app can be downloaded in advance, but it is not required.
- Voting members will be issued a unique voter ID and password at Synod Assembly, which will be on the back of their name tag (this information will not be available prior to Assembly).
- For any votes using Election Runner, a link to the vote (or vote ID number for those using the app) will be displayed on the screens in the Assembly ballroom. Voters will simply need to type the link into their browser (or the vote ID into the Election Runner app). It will ask for a voter ID and password (located on the back of the voter’s name tag). They may then vote in the allotted time frame.
Will I be able to register for Assembly in-person?
No. Registration for voters and visitors was online only and closed permanently at 5 pm ET on April 26, 2023.
Where should we stay?
We do not have a designated hotel for Synod Assembly. Check out area accommodations on the Travel Marquette website.
Are meals provided?
No. Several optional meal tickets were available for purchase during registration. If you registered for either of the breakfasts or the banquet, your ticket(s) will be available at check-in. Check out the Downtown Marquette Dining Guide for a list of local restaurants.
1. Friday Morning Breakfast
- 7-8:30 am at Marquette Hope Connection (927 W. Fair Ave., Marquette) and hosted by NMU Campus Ministry
- Menu will include scones, eggs, fruit, meat and a Celtic devotion. Proceeds benefit the NMU Campus Ministry Pilgrimage to Iona, Scotland May 24-June 3, 2023.
2. Friday Evening Banquet
- 6 pm at NMU and your choice of entrée:
- Lake Superior Whitefish: Meuniere style broiled whitefish with brown butter and lemon, served with harvest rice pilaf and zucchini ribbons.
- Pork Tenderloin: Medallions of pork with honey mustard sauce, alongside roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed apples and fresh mango chutney.
- Farmer’s Market Paella (vegetarian & vegan): A meatless take on the Spanish classic, arborio rice seasoned with saffron, tomatoes, carrots, petite peas and artichoke hearts.
3. Saturday Morning Breakfast
- 7-8:30 am at Messiah Lutheran Church (305 W. Magnetic St., Marquette) and hosted by Messiah’s Confirmation class
- Menu will include breakfast tacos (tortillas, eggs, breakfast sausage and salsas) and Honduran breakfast burritos (eggs and black beans). Proceeds benefit Messiah Lutheran Church’s asylum-seeking family.
What are the fees and registration deadlines for Synod Assembly this year?
Voter registration is $125 until 5 pm ET on April 12.
Late voter registration is $150 after 5 pm on April 12.
Visitor registration is $25.
Registration for voters and visitors closed permanently at 5 pm ET on April 26, 2023 and will not open again due to technology requirements.
Northern Great Lakes Synod
1029 North 3rd Street
Marquette, MI 49855